The Beacon homeless day resource center
is a public – private partnership working to provide community solutions to help men, women, and children who are experiencing homelessness in Dane County, Wisconsin. The Beacon is committed to providing services that address the causes of homelessness in an environment that allows people to feel welcome, safe, and respected. Many social services are offered under one roof at The Beacon. We are a “one-stop-shop” to address as many needs as we can. On the first floor our guests have access to shower and laundry facilities, are provided a lunch each day, can use our center as a mailing address to send/receive mail, and have a safe place to shelter during the day. Upstairs professional staff assist with housing, employment, mental health and substance abuse counseling, training, and preventative healthcare.
Volunteers must be 18 years of age.
- Computer Lab Volunteer - Help homeless individuals how to search the internet and fill out online applications. Basic computer skills required.
- Greeter - Help create a welcoming environment for people when they come in each day.
- Guest Advocate Volunteer - Help homeless individuals find resources, play cards with them, talk to them, and be that person who shows them they are cared about and not alone!
- Shower Services Volunteer - Give out towels and toiletries for homeless individuals to use so they can get a chance to get clean and feel good again.
- Kitchen Help- Help prepare meals and clean up for homeless neighbors.
- Laundry Help - Help wash clothes for our homeless neighbors.
If you are interested in a specific opportunity, please include that in the message box below.